Šta je novo?

Bufferbloat mts

user user

Zapažen
Učlanjen(a)
Poena
Sorry for english, I'm from Russia. I have mts optic internet (200/20) and I have very big bufferbloat which causes big lags/stutters when I play. My router is zte f680 (it doesn't have qos feature). What should I do? Switch to 1gb/100mbps plan or buy a better router? Should I contact mts?

Prilozi

• buffer.jpg
    buffer.jpg
    17.3 KB · Pregleda: 97
check if you can get 'bridge' mode and if you can lose the CGNAT, it might help.
change country in game settings if you can.

Both. Contact MTS first and tell them to activate public IP on your account. Keep in mind that this is a paid service with monthly fee. You should also ask them the switch the modem operating mode from router to bridge. They can do this remotely. Once all these changes are made, you can get a better router that has traffic shaping and QoS features.

you should also check wifi if you have to use it, try getting closer to router and use 5GHz band, buy new AP, etc...

Both. Contact MTS first and tell them to activate public IP on your account. Keep in mind that this is a paid service with monthly fee. You should also ask them the switch the modem operating mode from router to bridge. They can do this remotely. Once all these changes are made, you can get a better router that has traffic shaping and QoS features.
I actually have access to router settings and can change mode from router to bridge. I'm not really good at those things, but if I for example set it to bridge mode, I can buy a good router and connect it to my current bad router and put all the calculations to new good router?

I actually have access to router settings and can change mode from router to bridge. I'm not really good at those things, but if I for example set it to bridge mode, I can buy a good router and connect it to my current bad router and put all the calculations to new good router?
Setting a router into a bridge mode by yourself is not enough to get this working. You still need PPPoE parameters and credentials to establish internet connection. MTS is not providing that data unless you opt in for a public IP.

Setting a router into a bridge mode by yourself is not enough to get this working. You still need PPPoE parameters and credentials to establish internet connection. MTS is not providing that data unless you opt in for a public IP.
Hvala. So I need to ask mts to switch me from DCHP to PPPoE, right? And pay for it. Then I can buy router and hope lags will go away

Sorry for english, I'm from Russia. I have mts optic internet (200/20) and I have very big bufferbloat which causes big lags/stutters when I play. My router is zte f680 (it doesn't have qos feature). What should I do? Switch to 1gb/100mbps plan or buy a better router? Should I contact mts?
Ask them to correct that, I am on cable:
Screenshot 2023-03-08 at 16.46.08.png

So I need to ask mts to switch me from DCHP to PPPoE, right? And pay for it. Then I can buy router and hope lags will go away
No. You need to tell them you want to subscribe for a public IP and you also need to let them know you want to use your own router.

I'm pretty sure the only thing I can do is to buy a decent router. What can mts do about it?
You can do that. But thats not an elegant solution because you are tripple NATing. If you are ok with that, go for it.

does tripple NAT cause delay or why should I avoid it?
It causes insignificant delay that you cant notice. However, it can cause issues with multiplayer games, torrents, and other services, but you can circumvent those issues by using a VPN. Of course, using a VPN adds additional delay.

It causes insignificant delay that you cant notice. However, it can cause issues with multiplayer games, torrents, and other services, but you can circumvent those issues by using a VPN. Of course, using a VPN adds additional delay.
is your router connected through WAN? because mine is connected through gpon cable. Idk how's it called properly, but because of this i can't use a single router

is your router connected through WAN? because mine is connected through gpon cable. Idk how's it called properly, but because of this i can't use a single router
Thats not where you connect your router. There is a classic female RJ45 connector at the back of the main router. Thats where you connect your own router with classic LAN cable. Your router should be connected to either port 1 or port 4. Ports 2 and 3 are reserved for IPTV boxes.

Just to be even more clear. You are not removing any devices provided by MTS. You just need to attach your own router. Nothing else.

Hi,

Can you explain your setup in more detail? Also, are you using mt:s or supernova gpon internet? mts doesn't currently have 200/20Mbps service - they offer 200/40 or 200/80 while their sub-brand "supernova" does offer 200/20 service. The setup for one is quite different from the other. What ONT device have they provided you with?

Number of NATs doesn't effect latency itself, it can cause other problems.

What comes to my mind is fairly complicated if you are not tech-savvy person.

There is a way to make transparent bridge with smart queue management (QoS). That way you're not adding any additional NAT routing.

The idea is to find wireless router compatible with OpenWRT software and has enough CPU power to do SQM at 200Mbps.

Then you should completely remove wan interface in software and add all network interfaces in one bridge, then install SQM packages and activate it.

If this idea seems like something you could do, please let me know. If you need recomendations for specific routers that could do the job, you can send me a private message.

Hi,

Can you explain your setup in more detail? Also, are you using mt:s or supernova gpon internet? mts doesn't currently have 200/20Mbps service - they offer 200/40 or 200/80 while their sub-brand "supernova" does offer 200/20 service. The setup for one is quite different from the other. What ONT device have they provided you with?
oh yeah, i have supernova gpon internet. Idk what exactly ONT device is, but I have one cable connected to some small box without any details (except mts logo) and from this little box comes a wire to this zte f680 router. And please note, that it is connected to router not through WAN, but through this gpon cable
Number of NATs doesn't effect latency itself, it can cause other problems.

What comes to my mind is fairly complicated if you are not tech-savvy person.

There is a way to make transparent bridge with smart queue management (QoS). That way you're not adding any additional NAT routing.

The idea is to find wireless router compatible with OpenWRT software and has enough CPU power to do SQM at 200Mbps.

Then you should completely remove wan interface in software and add all network interfaces in one bridge, then install SQM packages and activate it.

If this idea seems like something you could do, please let me know. If you need recomendations for specific routers that could do the job, you can send me a private message.
thanks, I will contact you after I get a reply from mts

Supernova doesn't use PPPoE.

One option is to put the ZTE F680 router/ont (the device I refered to as ONT) into bridge mode, and use another router that has QoS it should work.

Another option - since you already have CGNAT on supernova, it won't make much of a difference - is to add a third NAT in the chain (CGNAT, ZTE F680 and your router) - by not putting their ZTE router/ont in bridge mode, just connecting the new router to it.

The only issue with tripple nat can be if you have IPv6 with your service (some supernova users have IPv6 and some do not), you might or might not get a usable IPv6 prefix behind your router, depending on how their ZTE router handles prefix delegation downstream.

@poglavicas solution might not work as most cheap-ish consumer routers now days don't support what he's trying to set up - they don't have the hardware to support transparent bridging with QoS or at least not without a lot of hacks. A prosumer router that doesn't have an integrated switch but actual multiple NICs (such as Ubiquity UDM Pro or some MikroTik ones) might do the job.

Poslednja izmena:
Supernova doesn't use PPPoE.

One option is to put the ZTE F680 router/ont (the device I refered to as ONT) into bridge mode, and use another router that has QoS it should work.

Another option - since you already have CGNAT on supernova, it won't make much of a difference - is to add a third NAT in the chain (CGNAT, ZTE F680 and your router) - by not putting their ZTE router/ont in bridge mode, just connecting the new router to it.

The only issue with tripple nat can be if you have IPv6 with your service (some supernova users have IPv6 and some do not), you might or might not get a usable IPv6 prefix behind your router, depending on how their ZTE router handles prefix delegation downstream.
Well, I'm not using ip v6 anyway. So besides that, it won't add any delay/further lags if I use zte as bridge? And if you said supernova doesn't have PPPoE, does it mean I can go to shop now and plug another router without interactions with isp?

You will still need to keep their router/ont connected and plug your router into it.

So the final setup would be:
  • the fiber comes to their white box with no labels
  • it then connects to their zte router/ont
  • you connect your router's wan port to one of the lan ports on their router/ont

You can disable the wifi on their router and unplug everything connected to the other lan ports on their router (plug them in your router's lan ports) as your QoS won't won't have any effect if you have devices using their router directly.

Nazad
Vrh Dno